Monday, June 14, 2010

2010 FIFA World Cup

I've watched several games so far. This included the demolition of my beloved Aussies! However what I have noticed most of all has been the amount of "flopping" by players of all teams.

This has been a huge problem for soccer (or football, depending on where you live) for a long time. It's a personal pet hate of mine. It is a major reason why soccer is not taken seriously in the US, or Australia for that matter. We want to see contact, gladiator v gladiator, may the best man win. We don't want to see a man just flop to the ground in fake agony rolling around like he was struck in the groin (when clearly he was not). Man up! I admire soccer (it is nowhere near my favorite) but the World Cup is definitely one of my favorite tournaments to watch. You can't get any better than country versus country with over a billion people watching. It is also wonderful that they are hosting this tournament in South Africa, a beautiful country that I have had the privilege of going to.

But, despite all the hoopla and marketing and superstars, soccer continues to have this "flopping" problem. To me the answer is obvious, you dive and you are not really hurt and you don't get up, you get a red card. You leave. Don't waste my time or others by pretending to be injured and rolling around like a beached whale. Man up and get on with it. I want to watch a gladiator, not an actor.

I welcome your viewpoints or feedback. Please feel free to comment! I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment